I did not realise for a long time the difference between Cottage Pie and Shepards’ Pie. I assumed the terms where interchangable. However, Cottage Pie is made with beef mince and Shephards’ Pie is made with lamb mince. Logical once you know!
This recipe for Cottage Pie includes lots of vegetables to be as healthy and nutritious as possible. It’s colourful and appealing so the kids will love it too. It is sure to become a family favourite.
Cottage Pie Ingredients
500 grams Minced Beef
1 medium Onion
4 medium Mushrooms (your favourite sort)
1 clove Garlic
2 each Bay Leaves
handful Fresh Thyme (A dried mix from the supermarket is fine)
300 grams Mixed, peeled and chopped vegetables.
2 – 3 large Potatoes
1 tablespoon Butter
1 tablespoon Oil
3 heaped tablespoons Gravy Granules
Optional – 70 grams Grated Cheese.
Cottage Pie Method
- Peel and roughly chop the onion, garlic and mushrooms.
- Add oil to pan then add the mushroom mix with the bay and thyme leaves.
- Saute until cooked but not coloured. (approx 5-6 minutes.)
- Add the mince and gravy granules.
- Stir on medium heat for 8-10 minutes until cooked.
- Add a little water if needed.
- Meanwhile peel and chop potato and other vegetables.
- Place in pan of boiling water to cook.
- Once cooked, remove from heat and mash with butter and salt.
- In a greased baking dish spoon the cooked meat mix, removing the bayleaves.
- Add the mashed vegetables to the top.
- For added flavour, grate 70 grams of cheese and sprinkle on the top.
- Bake in an hot oven for 20 minutes or until the top is browned.
- Serve with boiled vegetables.