Today’s recipe is a simple recipe for butter frosting or icing as we like to say on this side of the pond! Having an quick and easy frosting recipe on hand is always a good idea. You never know when you will need a reliable frosting recipe at 10pm when your whipping up a forgotten batch of cupcakes for tomorrows school bake sale!
Please see the end of the recipe for frosting variations.
This recipe will provide frosting cover and two internal layers for one large cake.
500 grams Pure Icing Sugar (confectioners sugar)
500 grams Unsalted Butter
- Ensure the butter is very soft. Leave it out of the fridge overnight if possible. Or heat it at a very, very low temperature for a short time in the microwave.
- Sift the icing sugar. (Ensures there are no pesky lumps in the frosting.)
- Whip the butter and sugar, with the pinch of salt, in a mixer until the mix is light and fluffy. (Start the mixer off slowly of all the icing sugar will end up around the kitchen!)
- Add any flavourings now.
- That’s it. The frosting is ready to use!
Tip – Once you have iced your cakes, leave it out of the fridge to prevent the frosting from hardening.
- Chocolate – add sweetened or unsweetened melted chocolate to taste.
- Lemon – add juice of 3 large lemons.
- Rum – add rum to taste.